Pro-Choice Washington is committed to elections at every level because we recognize the power that innovative lawmakers have to change the local and national conversation and to protect and advance reproductive freedom.
Each election cycle, we endorse candidates who demonstrate they are committed to standing up for reproductive freedom – at the city, county, or state level.
In Washington state, municipal elections take place in odd years (2021, 2023, 2025, etc.) and state elections take place in even years (2020, 2022, 2024, etc.). You can check out the Washington Secretary of State’s elections calendar to make sure you never miss a primary or a general election.
Important dates for upcoming 2021 and 2022 Washington state elections:
- August 3, 2021 – Primary Election, municipal legislators
- November 2, 2021 – General Election
- August 2, 2022 – Primary Election, state legislators
- November 8, 2022 – General Election
Voter participation significantly drops during city and county elections, but we want to change that. We prioritize our municipal endorsements and candidate support because local lawmakers are the key to addressing barriers to reproductive healthcare access. For example, the official who is in charge of broadband in a rural community has the power to help or hinder essential telemedicine, and in turn a patient’s ability to access abortion pills.
- Check out our Reproductive Freedom Voter’s Guide for 2021 elections to learn about the candidates in your community.
- Unsure of what district you live in? Use the Washington State Legislature District Finder to learn more.
- Make sure you’re registered to vote! Visit the Washington Secretary of State website to register now.
- Interested in running for office? Check out the Washington Secretary of State’s resources on how to run for office.
- Interested in becoming a Pro-Choice Washington endorsed candidate? Start by reading about our key issues and then reach out to our PAC at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you.
- Interested in learning more about the impact you can have on reproductive freedom at the local level? Start with this great resource from the National Institute for Reproductive Health (NIRH) on a Model City for reproductive freedom.
Interested in learning practical ways to talk about reproductive freedom and counter abortion stigma? Start with this great article from Vice on How to Talk About Abortion.