Pro-Choice Washington is committed to supporting elections at every level of government because we recognize the power that innovative lawmakers have to change the local and national conversation and to protect and promote reproductive freedom.
Pro-Choice Washington Electoral Action
Each election cycle, Pro-Choice Washington works to help elect reproductive freedom champions who will protect and promote access to abortion and the full range of reproductive care options in Washington state – at the city, county, or state level. We endorse as many candidates as we can on a rolling basis from the primary election to the general election.
check out our 2022 voters’ guide
We prioritize endorsing candidates in districts where the most gains can be made for abortion access by:
- Increasing capacity to win in the most competitive swing districts where reproductive freedom champions face tough races against anti-abortion opponents.
- Building power in districts where constituents face the biggest barriers to abortion access, like long travel times to an abortion provider, a high prevalence of fake clinics, and an increase in anti-abortion and white nationalist activity.
- Creating a representative and inclusive movement for reproductive freedom by investing in candidates of color who have lived experience with healthcare barriers.
Voter participation significantly drops during city and county elections, but we want to change that. We prioritize our municipal endorsements and candidate support because local lawmakers are the key to addressing barriers to reproductive healthcare access. For example, the official who is in charge of broadband in a rural community has the power to help or hinder essential telemedicine, and in turn a patient’s ability to access abortion pills.
As a reminder of why voting in local elections is essential, check out our 2021 Post-Election Brief.
Elections in washington state
In Washington state, municipal elections take place in odd years (2021, 2023, 2025, etc.) and state elections take place in even years (2020, 2022, 2024, etc.).
Important dates for Washington state 2022 elections
- August 2, 2022 | Primary Election, state legislators
- November 8, 2022 | General Election
You can check out the Washington Secretary of State’s elections calendar to make sure you never miss a primary or a general election.
Important Information about Voting in Washington
- Unsure of what district you live in? Use the Washington State Legislature District Finder to learn more.
- Make sure you’re registered to vote! Visit the Washington Secretary of State website to register now.
- Unsure about how to vote by mail? Visit the Washington Secretary of State’s Frequently Asked Questions about voting by mail.
- Interested in running for office? Check out the Washington Secretary of State’s resources on how to run for office.
- Interested in becoming a Pro-Choice Washington endorsed candidate? Start by reading about our key issues and then reach out to our Political Action Committee at email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
- Interested in learning more about the impact you can have on reproductive freedom at the local level? Start with this great resource from the National Institute for Reproductive Health on a Model City for reproductive freedom.
Interested in learning how to speak about reproductive freedom and counter abortion stigma?
- Download our How to Talk About Abortion Guide!