The Pro-Choice Washington How To Talk About Abortion Guide is a resource for anyone who wants to learn how to have meaningful conversations about abortion.
It is more important than ever to be able to speak about abortion in clear, medically accurate, and non-stigmatizing terms.
Each of us has the power to protect and promote abortion access by boldly speaking out with family, friends, and in our communities to help shift the culture around abortion.
The Guide recommends exact language to use on key topics — such as defining abortion care, promoting inclusivity, and understanding equitable access to abortion — and provides conversation guides to demonstrate how you can use this language in real life.
By having intentional and open one-on-one conversations about abortion — using clear, inclusive, and unapologetic terms — you can help increase acceptance, comfort, and culture change on abortion care.
How to Talk About Abortion Guide
- IPPF Guide to Rights-Based Messaging
- Abortion on Our Own Terms Campaign
- Avow Texas: Why we heart abortion
- Sister Song: Reproductive Justice
- Ibis Reproductive Health: Abortion experiences and preferences of transgender, nonbinary, and gender-expansive people in the United States
- Harvard Medical School Primary Care Review: Medication Abortion – Prioritizing Access in 2021 & Onward
- Guttmacher Institute: Medication Abortion Now Accounts for More Than Half of All U.S. Abortions
- Prism: We don’t need an ‘abortion Underground Railroad’—Black and brown people already lead the most powerful abortion fund network in the country
- Western States Center: Toolkits and Resources
- All Above All: Fact Sheet: About the Hyde Amendment
- Guttmacher Institute: Roe v. Wade in Peril
- Why using inclusive language in abortion care is an essential aspect of equal rights
- What is Misoprostol?