NARAL Pro-Choice Washington
Position Title: Organizer
Reports to: Organizing & Political Director
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by or before November 15th.
As a membership-based organization, NARAL strives to take a collaborative approach to engaging with our activist members, partnering to build strategy and take political action to address gaps in access to the full spectrum of reproductive health care. The Organizer will work alongside the Political and Organizing Director to expand community partnerships, create programs that support the leadership of activist members, and increase engagement in regular electoral and legislative activities.
NARAL Pro-Choice Washington is the leading pro-choice political advocacy organization in Washington State. Our vision is that every Washingtonian is able to exercise full self-determination in all pregnancy decisions through equitable access to reproductive health care, including abortion care and workplace policies that support working families. NARAL Pro-Choice Washington is a state affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America.
- Create community space by organizing regular events where NARAL members can connect, learn and take collective action
- Identify and support activists eager to increase their leadership in the pro-choice movement
- Build and retain a regional organizing model that supports long-term partnership with NARAL activist leaders across the state
- Identify opportunities to uplift the experiences and stories of members
- Mobilize members in legislative and electoral activities like lobby days, door-to-door canvasses, and in-district meetings
- Conduct community outreach to build authentic relationships with pro-choice activists and partners in target geographic regions
- Support NARAL’s youth leadership programs, specifically our internship and campus programs
- Other tasks as required.
- Minimum 2 years of work or internship experience in an office setting. Minimum 1 year of work or internship experience in community organizing, volunteer management or campaign work.
- Strong commitment to the fundamental right to choose safe and legal abortion as part of a full range of reproductive health care choices.
- Experience facilitating a large group to drive towards consensus
- Knowledge of Washington political landscape
- Experience with political activities like canvassing, grassroots lobbying, and tabling
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with staff, volunteers, and members of the general public.
- Exceptional organizational skills. Strong attention to detail and the ability to focus in a busy environment are a must.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
- Must have a driver’s license and reliable access to a car.
Physical demands for this position include frequent walking for door to door canvassing and the ability to walk for a few hours at a time. This position requires the ability to travel across Washington, often while transporting collateral such as posters, documents, and clipboards. This position requires the ability to remain in a relatively stationary position outdoors and/or indoors for tabling purposes. There will also be frequent standing, sitting at a desk, operating a computer, use of a telephone, and face-to-face communication with co-workers, volunteers, and members of the public.
Compensation and benefits
This is a full-time position reporting to the Political and Organizing Director. In an effort to break with the practice of overworking the passionate people in our movement, this position will be hourly and non-exempt. Compensation will be a wage of $18.27 per hour, with an annual projected income of $38,000.
The position will be based in Seattle, WA. We provide a benefits package that includes paid vacation, sick & safe leave, and holidays; Medical and Dental insurance; Employee Assistance program.
NARAL Pro-Choice Washington does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply: The deadline to apply is Friday, November 15th. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line: Organizer Application.