NARAL Pro-Choice Washington is a leading grassroots pro-choice advocacy organization in Washington state. With over 15,000 members statewide, we believe that every person should be able to make informed decisions about their reproductive lives. We work every day to protect every person’s right to access the full range of reproductive health options, including; preventing pregnancy, giving birth to healthy children, and choosing legal abortion. NARAL Pro-Choice Washington is the state affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America; tying our local work to a national movement. We are looking for the next Executive Director with passion, creativity, and commitment to reproductive freedom. Building on over 50 years of wins, our next Executive Director will help our dynamic team navigate this moment of transition, and build a strong future for NARAL and the reproductive rights movement.
Are you the leader to take NARAL Pro-Choice Washington to the next level?
About NARAL Pro-Choice Washington
NARAL is a non-profit that includes a 501(c)(3) non-profit, 501(c)(4) not-profit, as well as a Political Action Committee (PAC) candidate endorsement program. We help people across Washington State understand the urgency and action they can take to defend and win reproductive freedom. We believe reproductive freedom is for everybody.
MISSION: We protect and promote every person’s right to access the full range of reproductive healthcare choices, including safe and legal abortion.
VISION: We envision a future where every person has the reproductive health access, care, and choices they need to thrive.
APPROACH: We do this by mobilizing members to vote for pro-choice champions, advocate for reproductive freedom, and hold our decision-makers accountable to the pro-choice majority in Washington State.
The Executive Director reports to the 501c(3) and 501c(4) Board of Directors respectively, oversees an $850,000 organizational budget and manages a nine-member team.
Qualities and Abilities
- A proven champion of reproductive rights, abortion, and reproductive health. Understands the stakes of being a pro-choice organization leader, and the urgency of the fight
- Able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while nurturing and sustaining a team culture built on trust, collaboration, flexibility, and humor
- An inspiring public speaker and compelling voice for the organization & movement, who understands the power of traditional and social media
- A champion for reproductive freedom, health, and/or rights; with a deep understanding of feminism, anti-racism, and the intersectionality of progressive issues and values
- Excellence in building donor relationships around a non-profit mission, vision, and values; so they sustain investment in the organization and social change work
- Intermediate and/or expert skills in the following: Quickbooks, Google Suite, Microsoft Suite, PDC report review
Duties and Responsibilities
- TEAM BUILDING: Motivate and lead a dynamic and talented team and board; with a focus on collaboration, interpersonal connection, and mentorship.
- Maintain a collegial and professional work environment for all, free of harassment and with a focus on maintaining a positive staff morale and performance. When needed, engage the Executive Committee and/or the Board of Directors to resolve personnel matters
- Encourage and facilitate an open, professional and collegial atmosphere that fosters discussion, consensus, and clear action within the Board and with Board committees
- Deepen and strengthen a culture of inclusion, anti-racism, and equity within the team and board
- ORGANIZATIONAL HEALTH: Steward the strategic, financial, and social health of the organization and mission-driven work.
- Provide leadership, vision, strategy, and direction to the organization; including managing and implementing the Board-approved Strategic Plan
- Maintain a collegial and professional work environment for all, free of harassment and with a focus on maintaining positive staff morale and performance.
- Partner with political leaders and organizations at the local, state, and national levels. This includes collaborating with NARAL Pro-Choice America and other NARAL state affiliates.
- Build and strengthen a holistic anti-racism, equity and inclusion plan that centers the communities most impacted by reproductive oppression
- FUNDRAISING & FINANCIAL OVERSIGHT: Build on previous success in managing an engaging fundraising plan; with a focus on donor cultivation and grant writing
- Oversee and implement fundraising with institutions and individual donors to achieve annual goals.
- Manage the fiscal security of the organizations including: annual budgets, monthly financial reporting, payroll management, and ongoing budget oversight
- Oversee staff management of record-keeping, election disclosures, grant reporting, and tax reporting as needed
- Work with Board, and Board Fundraising and Finance Committees to support fundraising goals
- POLICY & COMMUNICATIONS: Champion legislative and public policy that holds the line for reproductive freedom; and share a clear story about the urgency and action we can take together.
- Work with the Political Director to design and guide a pro-active legislative and electoral plan to assure Washington state law supports the reproductive rights and health of all people.
- Work with the Communications Specialist to amplify the organizational message, work and approach to media and members
- Serve as an active and visible spokesperson and representative for the organization, its mission, and the advocacy fights we champion
SALARY & BENEFITS: This is a full-time position. The salary will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include Orcas transit card; medical, dental, and vision insurance; paid vacation and sick leave. The salary range for this opportunity is $75,000 – $90,000.
TO APPLY: Send resume, cover letter, and short writing sample (500 words or fewer) to info@prochoicewashington.
EQUITY: We strive to create an equitable and just workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels safe and supported to bring their full, authentic selves to work. Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at NARAL Pro-Choice Washington, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, family status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
We strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds including communities of color, people who are LGBTQIA+, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply and join us in our work.