LOCATION: Seattle, WA
START DATE: July 2020
SALARY: $38,000 – $42,000 + Benefits
SUPERVISE: Communications Interns
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
APPLY BY Friday, June 12th
NARAL Pro-Choice Washington is a leading grassroots pro-choice advocacy organization in Washington state. With over 20,000 members statewide, we believe every person should be able to make informed decisions about their reproductive lives. We work every day to protect every person’s right to access the full range of reproductive health options, including; preventing pregnancy, giving birth to healthy children, and choosing legal abortion. NARAL Pro-Choice Washington is the state affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America; tying our local work to a national movement. We are looking for the next Communications Specialist who will help us tell our collective story for reproductive freedom to our members, elected officials, and pro-choice advocates across Washington State.
About NARAL Pro-Choice Washington… NARAL is a non-profit that includes a 501(c)(3) non-profit, 501(c)(4) non-profit, as well as a Political Action Committee (PAC) candidate endorsement program. We help people across Washington State understand the urgency and action they can take to defend and win reproductive freedom. We believe reproductive freedom is for everybody. Our next Communications Specialist will be… A proven storyteller who understands how to connect with a diverse audience on multiple platforms about our values and activism for reproductive rights, abortion, and reproductive health Able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while contributing to a team culture built on trust, collaboration, flexibility, and humor An inspiring visual and written storyteller who can curate the “voice” of the organization & movement and understands the power of traditional and social media A collaborator who works with other team members to manage timelines, content development, and our social media presence
NARAL Pro-Choice Washington helps reproductive freedom champions take action: online, on their ballots, and in the halls of Olympia.
MISSION: We protect and promote every person’s right to access the full range of reproductive healthcare choices, including safe and legal abortion.
VISION: We envision a future where every person has the reproductive health access, care, and choices they need to thrive.
APPROACH: We do this by mobilizing members to vote for pro-choice champions, advocate for reproductive freedom, and hold our decision-makers accountable to the pro-choice majority in Washington State.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
The Communications Specialist is the lead for our communications plan, social media presence, and traditional media outreach. They are an active, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic team member of NARAL Pro-choice Washington, and help us tell a story that motivates pro-choice champions to take action. Periodically, they also help manage a team of 2-5 Communications Interns to move forward the communications plan. Specific responsibilities and skills include:
WRITING & EDITING: Strong writer who understands the diverse writing styles needed for different platform success. Works to develop, deepen, and guide our NARAL Reproductive Freedom “voice.”
- Ability to develop, edit, and share drafts quickly with team input in the process
- Composes different types of communications, including press releases, speeches, activism messaging guides, policy briefings, donor outreach emails & letters
- Work to co-write content with the full team; with support from Executive Director, Political Director, and NARAL America Communications Team
VISUAL STORYTELLING & MEDIA MANAGEMENT: Builds a narrative in words and pictures that draws in members and explains in simple terms the priorities of our work.
- Creates and stewards a brand and visual story that shows the diversity, energy, and action of our movement
- Hire talent and build event plans with photographers and videographers for content development
- Manage and update the brand guide as work evolves & responds to the larger movement and our direct action campaigns
- Coordinate with Political Director to build handouts and web content for advocates, elected officials and others to use in meetings, rallies, and online organizing
SOCIAL MEDIA & WEBSITE CONTENT DEVELOPMENT: Previous experience in managing and updating online content for a diverse audience. Can manage the unique tools across platforms; including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and WordPress
- Work with our team to develop shared plans for content development and management, so that each department stewards their piece of the communication plan
- Organize and track visual assets such as photos, videos, and data visuals
- Create recommendations for communications campaigns based on social engagement Recruit & supervise 2 – 5 Communication Interns for our Spring, Summer, & Fall cycles; with support of the full team to ensure success
- Work with Executive Director as lead fundraiser & collaborator, manage digital fundraising efforts through content generation for social media and email promotion
- Optional experience with Adobe Suite; with a focus on Illustrator, Photoshop, & In-Design for NARAL branded content. If not a direct skill, can work well with consultants & interns to guide the process.
MEDIA STRATEGY & DATA ANALYSIS: Understands the power of online communication, and has a strategy to reach a diverse, statewide audience of activists, donors, and elected officials.
- Develop a comprehensive communications plan for multi-platforms
- Use analytics to make recommendations to grow our engagement and membership conversion across platforms
- Stewards relationships with traditional media outlines and maintains our media outreach list
- Works with the full team to review data and adjust communications plan as needed; with support from Executive Director, Political Director, and NARAL America Communications Team
SALARY & BENEFITS | This is a full-time position in Seattle, WA. Flexible schedule and remote work options available. Benefits include Orcas transit card; medical, dental, and vision insurance; paid vacation and sick leave. The salary will be commensurate with experience. The salary range for this opportunity is $38,000 – $42,000/ year.
TO APPLY | Send resume, cover letter, and short writing sample (500 words or fewer) on or before Friday, June 12, 2020, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please email with the subject heading “Communications Specialist, NARAL Pro-Choice Washington.” Applications will be considered and interviews will be conducted as applications arrive. Open until filled.
EQUITY STATEMENT | We strive to create an equitable and just workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels safe and supported to bring their full, authentic selves to work. Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at NARAL Pro-Choice Washington, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, family status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
We encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds including communities of color, people who are LGBTQIA+, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply and join us in our work.