Join our movement.
We believe that everybody should be able to make personal decisions about the full range of reproductive health options, including preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion. We envision a future where every person in Washington has access to the reproductive healthcare and choices they need to thrive.
We are nearing the end of Washington state’s first-ever virtual legislative session and NARAL Pro-Choice Washington’s first virtual advocacy week. We are excited to report that the Protecting Pregnant Patients Act (SSB 5140) has passed the Senate and the House committees! There has also been notable progress on our priority Progressive Revenue legislation, including Capital Gains Tax and Working Families Tax Credit, which is critical to unlocking resources for reproductive healthcare services for every person in Washington.
Looking ahead, NARAL Pro-Choice Washington will be focused on addressing restrictions to care within hospital systems across the state, identifying reproductive healthcare service deserts in Washington, expanding our activist movement, improving our candidate endorsement and engagement processes, and strengthening our partnerships to unlock intersectional barriers to abortion care.
JOIN OUR MOVEMENT, JOIN OUR BOARD NARAL
BOARD OPPORTUNITIES & EXPECTATIONS
NARAL Pro-Choice Washington is looking for individuals with previous Board experience to join our working Board of Directors. Major gifts, political experience, and/or legal background are a plus, but not required. The Board convenes bi-monthly, and each Board member also actively participates in at least one committee: Board Governance, Finance, Anti-Racism, Tech, or Fundraising & Events. Additionally, Board members are expected to:
- Complete a 2-year term of service.
- Be informed about the organization’s mission, activities, and programs.
- Attend and actively participate in board retreats and at least 75% of all regularly scheduled meetings (in person or virtually).
- Review the agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Make a financial contribution at a personally meaningful level.
- Actively support NARAL Pro-Choice Washington’s fundraising efforts.
- Act as an ambassador for the organization within the community.
- Provide support and advice to the executive director.
- Suggest nominees for Board membership.
- Monitor and assist in assessing the performance of the board.
For more information, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
NARAL Pro-Choice Washington is a state affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America but operates as a structurally and financially separate institution. It is composed of three separate organizations to help achieve our mission.
- NARAL Pro-Choice Washington 501(c)(4) – works with our 25,000 members to advocate and lobby on behalf of progressive policies, collaborates with coalition partners to pass pro-choice legislation, and engages lawmakers on reproductive freedom issues.
- NARAL Pro-Choice Washington Foundation 501(c)(3) – conducts public education, consumer research, public policy education, and leadership development programs to help build an informed constituency and to complement our political work.
- NARAL Pro-Choice Washington Political Action Committee (PAC) – helps elect pro-choice champions into state and local offices by endorsing and providing financial and in-kind campaign contributions to progressive candidates. If you are interested in joining the PAC board, please contact Lillian Lanier at email@example.com.
NARAL Pro-Choice Washington is also a values-driven institution. We believe in:
- Justice – Advancing equity and prosperity by empowering womxn* and families.
- Respect – Honoring the ability and right of all people to make the best decisions for themselves.
- Inclusivity – Creating a movement in which every individual is welcomed and valued.
- Innovation – Embracing change and creative problem-solving.
- Tenacity – Meeting challenges head-on and never giving up on our mission.
How do you apply?
Submit a short letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 14, 2021.
- Applications will be reviewed as they are received. A Board member will contact you for an initial discussion.
- The next step will be to arrange a Zoom interview with other Board members to discuss your interests and background.
We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and creating a movement in which every individual is welcomed and valued. We strive to ensure our boards reflect the diversity of our state including across race, income, immigrant status, and gender identity.
NARAL Pro-Choice Washington was established in 1975 and is the largest grassroots advocacy organization for the protection of reproductive freedom in the state, with 25,000 members statewide. www.prochoicewashington.org