Available: (Flexible) June-August 2021
Reports to: Organizing & Partnership Manager
Hours: 10-15 weekly; with occasional weeknight and Saturday availability
Compensation: Stipend of $1,000
Location: Washington State. Preference for candidates based in Spokane, Pierce, Kitsap, and Whatcom county.
A note on Covid-19: In 2020, we ran a completely remote fellowship program. In 2021, we expect to run a hybrid program, but we will still be heavily utilizing digital organizing and online events. Our in-person efforts will be socially distanced, outdoors, and will depend on federal and state health guidelines.
NARAL Pro-Choice Washington (PCW) is a grassroots organization that works to protect and promote every person’s right to access the full range of reproductive healthcare choices in Washington through education, political advocacy, lobbying, and coalition-building. Our issues include ending discriminatory restrictions to reproductive healthcare, expanding affordable abortion and contraception access, resourcing equitable reproductive healthcare, and revitalizing the reproductive rights movement in Washington state. NARAL PCW is working to break down barriers to accessing reproductive health care across race, ethnicity, gender identity, income level, and geographic location.
NARAL seeks two fellows to join our field team this summer. The fellowship will be designed for fellows to gain exposure to political organizing, electoral campaigns, volunteer management, and issue-based advocacy. Fellows’ primary work will be focused on field contributions in key 2021 municipal races and research to support NARAL’s 2022 legislative priorities. This program will also allow fellows to explore their interests relating to reproductive freedom by working on an individual project that aligns with NARAL PCW’s priorities and a fellow’s interests.
- Engagement with NARAL activists via phone calls, emails, and virtual and possibly in-person meetings
- Planning and facilitating campaign Days of Action and membership education events. Possible topics for member engagement events could include the history of race in the reproductive rights movement and discriminatory restrictions to care in Washington State.
- Canvassing and phone banking on behalf of endorsed candidates
- Candidate research
- Creation of campaign resources including volunteer outreach scripts, candidate wraps, and training materials
- Issue research to support NARAL’s 2022 legislative priorities
- Participation in tabling and community outreach
- Data entry and EveryAction (CRM) support, including turf cutting and universe analysis
Qualified Candidates will have:
- Strong personal commitment to intersectional reproductive freedom
- Have a passion for organizing and a desire to learn about the reproductive rights movement
- Interest in state and local political process
- Willingness to talk to strangers on the phone and in-person
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong writing and computer skills
- Flexibility, reliability, and a willingness to learn
We strongly encourage folks from immigrant communities and Black, Indigenous & communities of color as well as those who identify as women, LGBTQ+ or working class to apply.
How to apply: Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis. The deadline to apply is May 21st, 2021. Please email a resume and cover letter to Gabbi Nazari at email@example.com with the subject line: NARAL Pro-Choice Washington Organizing and Campaigns Fellowship