- Job Title: Organizing Coordinator
- Supervisor: Senior Organizing Manager
- Type: Exempt
- Schedule: Full Time
- Benefits: Vacation, Health, Dental, Sick & Safe Leave, Employee Assistance Program
- Salary: $40,000-$45,000
Pro-Choice Washington, a 501(c)4 nonprofit organization, is the leading grassroots advocacy organization for reproductive freedom in Washington state. We believe every person deserves equitable access to affordable, unbiased, quality abortion and reproductive healthcare within their community.
Pro-Choice Washington’s advocacy work is complemented by the Pro-Choice Washington Foundation and the Pro-Choice Washington Political Action Committee. The Pro-Choice Washington Foundation is a 501(c)3 organization and the research and education arm of our movement, focusing on grassroots capacity building, community and lawmaker issue education, policy change, and leadership development.
The Pro-Choice Washington Political Action Committee (PAC) helps elect reproductive rights and justice champions at all levels of state and local government. It directs financial and in-kind contributions to candidates endorsed by Pro-Choice Washington and who are aligned with our values and our communities’ needs.
Our organization is powered by the voices of more than 25,000 members across the state who are speaking up for reproductive rights through advocacy, community engagement, and education. You can learn more about our organization at prochoicewashington.org
The Organizing Coordinator supports and expands Pro-Choice Washington’s student and community activist chapters across Washington state. They also engage our members in political actions to help achieve clear and relevant political wins.
The Organizing Coordinator will support the Senior Organizing Manager and the Political Director to expand and strengthen community partnerships, create programs that increase and support the leadership of activist members, and drive engagement in regular electoral and legislative activities.
A successful Organizing Coordinator will be excited by the opportunity to be creative while strengthening existing partnerships and activist chapter models. Pro-Choice Washington is committed to living our values throughout our work, so a successful Organizing Coordinator will center racial, economic, gender, and social equity, and will believe in non-competitive coalition work and collaborative movement building.
Key Duties and Responsibiities
- Create inclusive community spaces by organizing regular programming and community events where Pro-Choice Washington members can connect, learn, and take collective action.
- Support and coordinate Pro-Choice Washington’s youth leadership programs, including internship, campus, and high school programs.
- Support and coordinate Pro-Choice Washington’s Troublemakers Chapters by identifying and regularly engaging activist leaders, sharing guidance and resources on Pro-Choice Washington’s messaging and priorities, and identifying and coordinating meaningful opportunities for action.
- Communicate regularly with Pro-Choice Washington activist members by email and phone.
- Identify and elevate activists eager to increase their leadership in the reproductive freedom movement.
- Help to mobilize members in legislative and electoral activities like Advocacy Week, in-district meetings, door-to-door canvasses, phonebanks, and textbanks.
- Identify opportunities to respectfully collect and uplift the experiences and stories of members to raise awareness and to support communications and development departments.
- Create and/or support the development of educational resources, including activist guides and supporting the creation of issue briefs and one-pagers.
- Other tasks as required.
- Contribute to strategic planning processes
- Support other tasks as needed
Desired & Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Deep commitment to equity, racial, economic, gender, and social justice, and strong alignment with our organizational values
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, volunteers, members, and partners
- Demonstrated success at cultivating and sustaining respectful relationships with a wide range of diverse stakeholders, while centering values of collaboration, empathy, and direct communication
- A minimum of two years of experience in organizing volunteers or activists on issue-based or electoral campaigns
- Interest in mentoring staff and volunteers
- Self-starter and able to work independently
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while nurturing and sustaining a team culture built on trust, collaboration, flexibility, and humor
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Pro-Choice Washington, and a deep understanding of the intersectional components of reproductive freedom
- Experience developing and implementing public policy, political, and electoral strategies
- Experience designing campaign plans
- Mastery of Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, climb stairs, and occasionally lift up to 25 pounds from floor to waist high. Work is primarily performed in a small office environment while operating standard office equipment. Full-time position, but some flexibility in hours possible for the right candidate. Occasional evenings and weekend work are likely. Infrequent travel within Washington state.
Please email a cover letter, addressed to Kia Guarino, Executive Director, and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Organizing Coordinator” as soon as possible and no later than January 31, 2022, as the position may be filled sooner. All applications will be reviewed, but only those demonstrating a strong alignment with the position description will be contacted for additional information. We encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all the requirements – commitment to the mission and a willingness to problem-solve are highly valued. Referrals to potential candidates are welcome. No phone calls, please.
Pro-Choice Washington is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or any other protected factor. We also engage in anti-discriminatory hiring practices, folks who are women, queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, parents, have different abilities, are immigrants are encouraged to apply.