Date Issued: Tuesday, May 10, 2022
Due Date: Friday, May 27, 2022
Available: (Flexible) June-September 2022
Reports to: Senior Organizing Manager
Hours: 15 hours weekly, with occasional weeknight and weekend availability
Compensation: $16.69 per hour
Location: Washington state. Preference for candidates based in Spokane, Kitsap County, or Whatcom County
About Pro-Choice Washington
Pro-Choice Washington is the leading grassroots advocacy organization for reproductive freedom in Washington state. We believe every person deserves equitable access to affordable, unbiased, quality reproductive healthcare, including abortion. Our organization is powered by the voices of more than 26,000 members, activists, and donors who are speaking up for reproductive rights through advocacy, community engagement, and education. Pro-Choice Washington’s issue areas include ending discriminatory denials to reproductive healthcare, expanding abortion and contraception access for historically excluded communities, raising awareness and funding for equitable abortion and reproductive healthcare, and revitalizing the reproductive freedom movement to be more inclusive and reflective of community needs.
About the Program
This is a critical moment for abortion rights and access in the United States. Recent statements from the Supreme Court have made it clear that Roe v. Wade will likely be overturned this year. With an escalating number of abortion restrictions being issued across the country, several states, including Washington, have recognized their role as sanctuary states for those seeking abortion care. If you are ready to take action at the state level to ensure Washington state has strong abortion rights and access, please apply for our 2022 Organizing and Campaign Fellowship program.
Pro-Choice Washington seeks two fellows to join our field team this summer. This program is designed for fellows to gain exposure to political organizing, electoral campaigns, volunteer management, and issue-based advocacy. Fellows will participate in fieldwork for key 2022 state-level elections. They will engage in community organizing in response to the Supreme Court Decision on Dobbs v. Jackson. Finally, fellows will conduct research to support Pro-Choice Washington’s 2023 legislative priorities and work on a collaborative project that aligns with the fellow’s interests and Pro-Choice Washington’s priorities.
- Canvassing, phone banking, and texting on behalf of endorsed candidates
- Creation of campaign resources including volunteer outreach scripts, candidate wraps, and training materials
- Candidate research
- Participation in Pro-Choice Washington’s community events
- Participation in tabling and community outreach
- Engagement with Pro-Choice Washington activists via phone calls, emails, and virtual & in-person meetings
- Issue research to support Pro-Choice Washington’s 2023 legislative priorities
- Planning and facilitating campaign days of action and membership education events.
- Data entry and EveryAction (CMR) support
Qualified Candidates will have:
- A strong personal commitment to intersectional reproductive freedom
- A passion for organizing and a desire to learn about the movement for abortion and reproductive rights
- Interest in state and local political process
- A willingness to talk to strangers in person and on the phone
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong communication, writing, and computer skills
- Flexibility, reliability, and a willingness to learn
How to Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter to Gabbi Nazari at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Pro-Choice Washington 2022 Organizing and Campaign Fellowship. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis. The deadline to apply is May 27 at 6 PM PST.
We strongly encourage folks from immigrant communities, Black, Indigenous & communities of color, as well as those who identify as women, LGBTQ+, or the working class to apply.