Schedule: Full Time, occasional evening and weekend work
Location: Seattle, WA (hybrid remote position)
Supervisor: (Interim) Executive Director
Benefits: PTO Vacation, Holidays, Health, Vision, Dental, Sick & Safe Leave, Employee Assistance Program, Retirement Program with 2% Organizational Contribution
Salary: $95,000 per year
About Pro-Choice Washington
Pro-Choice Washington is the only independent advocacy organization dedicated to advancing reproductive freedom in Washington state. We believe every person deserves equitable access to affordable, unbiased, quality abortion and reproductive healthcare within their community.
Our organization is powered by the voices of more than 35,000 members across the state who are speaking up for reproductive rights through advocacy, community engagement, and education. You can learn more about our organization at prochoicewashington.org.
Our approach includes:
- A firm commitment to equity, social justice, and reproductive rights for all people regardless of race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, or socio-economic status.
- An unwavering belief that access to comprehensive reproductive and sexual healthcare, including abortion care, is a fundamental human right.
- Dedication to providing education and information on reproductive rights and healthcare to empower individuals to make informed decisions about their personal health and wellbeing.
- Advocacy for evidence-based, equitable, and human rights-grounded reproductive healthcare and social justice policies.
- Community organizing and support for strong communities that work together to advance reproductive justice.
- Embracing the importance of collaboration across sectors and movements to achieve reproductive justice and advance the rights of all people.
Pro-Choice Washington is seeking a motivated and experienced nonprofit professional to spearhead financial growth with individual and major donors, planned giving and private and corporate foundations and to take our fundraising to the next level.
The Development Director oversees and provides strategic direction for the organization’s fundraising and donor stewardship activities. The Development Director will report to the Executive Director, supervise the development team, and collaborate with staff across departments to lead fundraising of over $1.1 million annually across the three organizational entities that together make up Pro-Choice Washington (501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), and PAC). The Development Director works to creatively achieve organizational fundraising goals, including cultivating new and ongoing donor relationships and overseeing the execution of fundraising events. This position is critical for helping Pro-Choice Washington achieve its goals and maximize its impact as a small organization.
The ideal candidate will be excited by the opportunity to drive strategy around recruiting and retaining a wide audience of supporters and maximizing values-aligned partnerships with individuals, businesses, non-profits, and members of the creative community. They will also be excited by the prospect of ensuring the long-term financial health and sustainable growth of Pro-Choice Washington to achieve its five-year goals.
The Development Director will also help foster a strong and supportive team culture and shared equity analysis within the organizing program through leadership development, anti-racist dialogue, and collaborative leadership.
- Lead the development and implementation of a fundraising and marketing plan that emphasizes building relationships, engagement, investment, stewardship, and measurable goals.
- Create and implement a multi-year donor-development and fundraising plan that supports Pro-Choice Washington priorities and goals as defined in the 5-year strategic plan.
- Develop and implement fundraising strategies, including soliciting donations, managing grants, and organizing fundraising events, as central to ongoing fundraising cycles of soliciting donations.
- Work with Pro-Choice Washington staff and board to assess the feasibility of organizational expansion to serve the Pacific Northwest region and engage prospective funders to support regional goals.
- Personally engage, solicit and steward donors, funders, and businesses and community partners to cultivate value-added relationships across Washington that strengthen the movement at large through generative, abundance-mindset capacity building.
- Ensure Pro-Choice Washington fundraising, marketing, and community and programmatic initiatives are integrated and meet or exceed Development industry standards in ethics and professionalism.
- Serve as a member of Pro-Choice Washington’s leadership team and represent the organization externally as a persuasive and inspirational spokesperson.
- Collaborate with Pro-Choice Washington’s communications team to create clear, compelling, and relevant marketing and fundraising messaging and materials to support donor recruitment and engagement.
- Together with the Executive Director, strategically engage the Board to achieve fundraising and engagement goals that maximize their time, skills, and influence.
- Lead Pro-Choice Washington staff in practicing an ongoing organizational culture of community-connected and inclusive fundraising.
- Build an annual event strategy that implements innovative approaches and builds partnerships with a wide range of donors and allies.
- Collaborate with board members, staff, and volunteers to ensure that all fundraising and event-related activities are successful.
- Create and monitor Pro-Choice Washington’s development department budget with strategic budget requests to support our fundraising goals, including budgets for fundraising and event activities.
- Research and identify potential new sources of funding, including corporate partners, grants, and individual donors.
- Work with Database & Digital Campaigns Coordinator to monitor and expand successful fundraising activities through donor engagement data, event outcomes, and diversity, equity, and inclusion metrics.
- Advise the Interim Executive Director, and other team members, on the state and local fundraising landscape and implications for Pro-Choice Washington’s goals.
- Support Pro-Choice Washington’s compliance with IRS standards by accurately tracking Development Department expenses.
- Manage the tracking, evaluation, and reporting of organizational revenue across multiple platforms in collaboration with the Operations team.
- Identify and secure additional capacity contract support, as needed, in partnership with the Interim Executive Director.
- Develop and execute, in partnership with the Interim Executive Director, a Development Department Staffing Strategy.
- Approve direct reports’ Timesheets on a bi-monthly basis.
Required Qualifications for Success:
- A minimum of five years of experience in nonprofit fundraising and leadership, with deep relationships in progressive movement and philanthropic organizations and a proven track record of mobilizing large gifts.
- A track record of successfully leveraging donor giving capacity during high-stakes political and rapid response campaigns..
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement effective fundraising and donor stewardship strategies.
- Expertise working with client relationship management platforms, ideally Every Action, to track donor engagement and drive data-driven strategies to grow revenue.
- Ability to cultivate and sustain respectful relationships with a wide range of diverse stakeholders, while centering values of collaboration, empathy, and direct communication.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board, volunteers, members, and partners.
- Ability to design and implement engaging and accessible events for volunteers, partners, donors, and staff.
- Ability to develop and oversee successful cyclical fundraising campaigns.
- Ability to effectively track donor metrics to inform and adjust fundraising strategies.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while nurturing and sustaining a team culture built on trust, collaboration, flexibility, and humor.
- Ability to work independently to manage multiple projects in a remote work environment.
- Ability to represent Pro-Choice Washington at events and with donors.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Pro-Choice Washington, and a deep understanding of the intersectional components of reproductive freedom.
- Mastery of Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and project management platforms like Asana
- Collaborative Leadership: The ability to share decision-making power with others.
- Resilience: The ability to recover quickly from setbacks or failures and maintain a forward-looking approach.
- Creativity: The ability to think outside the box and find new solutions to problems.
- Communication: The ability to communicate effectively with others, including being able to explain issues and changes and adapt plans as needed, and to ask clarifying questions when things are not clear.
- Persuasion: Ability to community clearly, concisely, and accurately resulting in action by donors, members, and partners.
- Problem-solving: The ability to identify and solve problems in a changing environment.
- Self-awareness: The ability to recognize one’s own strengths and weaknesses and adapt accordingly.
- Emotional intelligence: The ability to manage one’s own emotions and understand the emotions of others in a changing environment.
Must be able to stand, walk, sit, climb stairs, and occasionally lift 25+ pounds from floor to waist high. Work is primarily performed at home while operating standard office equipment. The role also requires attending in-person events and activities. Occasional evenings and weekend work, along with occasional travel within the Pacific Northwest.
While owning a car is not required for a candidate to be successful in this position, access to a vehicle with additional room to transport supplies will be required as a part of this position’s role 20+ times per year.
How to Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter, addressed to Sami Alloy (she/her), Interim Executive Director, at email@example.com with the subject line “Development Director.” Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis, with priority given to applications submitted by February 29th.
All applications will be reviewed, but only those demonstrating a strong alignment with the position description will be contacted for additional information. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet all the requirements – commitment to the mission and a willingness to problem-solve is highly valued. Referrals to potential candidates are welcome. No phone calls please.
Pro-Choice Washington is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or any other protected factor. We also engage in anti-discriminatory hiring practices, folks who are women, queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, parents, have different abilities, and immigrants are encouraged to apply.
* Occasional in-person events and activities required but day-to-day remote working options.